Built on the limestone bluffs above the mighty Mississippi, Quincy holds a prime spot on Illinois’ westernmost curve along the scenic Great River Road, our national historic byway.
The city is steeped in history, hospitality, and natural beauty. Known for outstanding architecture, agri-tourism and a dynamic cultural & culinary scene, Quincy is the “Gem City” of Western Illinois.
The surrounds are ripe with river life & events, acres of national parks, loads of ATV trails, and distinctive lodging experiences.
Situated midway between the neighboring historic communities of Nauvoo & Pittsfield, IL, Quincy claims the ideal vantage point for day tripping and exploring scenic side roads and adventures. Visitors enjoy area attractions and activities via curated self-guided driving tours, entertaining guides and events. The Quincy 5-Miler Rowing Race is held on the Mississippi annually in September and was launched in salute of the original races in 1872. A highlight to folks from all over the nation, the race draws boating enthusiasts who thrive on competing in hand-powered crafts.
Below is a handful of top-requested events and guides:
- (May)| Fishing for Freedom (June)| Moonlight Ride for Hunger (Aug) | Heroes at Heartland (Aug)| Quincy 5-Miler & Bear Creek Grunt Rowing Races (Sept) | Quincy Classic Boat Show (Sept)
End of World 24-Hr Fest (Sept)
- Ten Acre Tree Houses outsideof historic Nauvoo offer an off-grid lodging experience… a true world respite.
- Lodges of Pike Countyoffer miles of ATV trails, horseback riding, hunting, and retreats.
- Stout Route 3000is a fun “little” food itinerary saluting the Great River Road’s 3000-mile course. Eateries along the Quincy area’s portion of the best scenic drive in America are showcased, with menus approaching 3,000 calories per meal at some pretty stout stops.
- Mississippi Valley Wine Trail weaves the locally made offerings of five Western Illinois wineries together. Note Spirit Knob Winery on the Mississippi bluffs, distinguished as an Illinois Made establishment with award-winning vino. Take the Trail Blazer Challenge: visit all five wineries and receive a signature T-shirt.
- Spots to Spot Eagles Guidefeatures 10 premier locations along the Great River Road to view the magnificent Bald Eagle, as well as inviting local venues to discover.
- Abundant Architecture Self-Guided Driving Tourof 15 distinct areas of the architecturally diverse city. Quincy touts four National Register Historic Districts with over 3,600 contributing properties, and the best architecture outside of Chicago.
The Quincy area is the naturally beautiful and stimulating destination to explore local wonders with the charm of Midwest hospitality and value. Request or download complimentary guides today and peruse events on our site you’ll be sure to love ~ ENJOY.
800.978.4748 | seequincy.com.